Thursday, August 7, 2014

4 Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin From Sun Damage

By Liz Lindh

I live at a Yoga Retreat and Teacher Training Wellness Center in Costa Rica. Yes, it is amazing. I am exposed to the sun all day, nearly every day, all year long and I love it. I’m not very tan though. I have never been a sun worshiper, I have naturally light skin so I have learned over the years how to protect myself from the sun with out cramping my style or my enjoyment of the great outdoors. When it comes to caring for my skin, I know that what I put into my body is just as important as what I put on my body. I believe in natural, non-toxic products and have not found any sunblocks that I love to use. As an alternative putting commercial sunblock on my skin everyday (did you know that 80% of what you put onto your skin is directly absorbed into your body?) I incorporate these simple techniques into my daily routine to protect, nourish and hydrate my skin while keeping it soft, supple, healthy and beautiful.

Eat lots of Anti-Oxidants
Anti-Oxidants actually repair and strengthen your DNA. The harmful ultra-violet rays of the sun will damage and mutate the DNA of your skin. This can lead to cancer, even if you have dark skin or tan easily. Anti-oxidants are found in brightly colored berries, fruits and veggies. The more colors you eat every day, the better. 
Carrot beet juice is a skin superfood packed full of anti-oxidants. Carrots contain beta-carotene which gives the skin a gorgeous golden hue, and the red pigment in beets, betalain, gives the skin a healthy rosy glow. Drink a glass of fresh carrot beet juice every day for a subtle self-tanning effect.
If you spend a lot of time in the sun, consider taking an anti-oxidant supplement of vitamins A, C, E, selenium and zinc to be sure you have enough nutrients to heal your DNA by quenching those nasty free-radicals.

Stay Covered
 I don’t go anywhere with out my sunglasses and a hat on. Make sure your shades have good lenses, it is worth the extra money. Larger frames cover more area and offer more protection. You won’t find yourself squinting in the sunlight, so you will prevent unnecessary wrinkles from developing around your eyes and forehead, and the tinted lens will block sun damage to the delicate skin around your eyes.
A hat allows you to bring the shade with you. Hats come in all shapes and sizes. I dare to say that there is a hat for every occasion. Find one, or start a collection, to complement your personality and style, and wear it whenever you are outside.
I love sitting on the beach in my bikini, it feels so great to expose my skin to the fresh air. I always seek the shade, though. Bring an umbrella to the beach and use a parasol when you go out on walks. If you know that that isn’t an option, wear light cotton clothing, a sarong or a long sleeved rash guard to cover up. 
Avoid the mid-day sun. The sun is at it’s strongest between 10am and 2pm, it is a must to stay covered during the peak of the day. I don’t worry about it before 8am and after 4pm, even in Costa Rica I can be out in the sun during those times to replenish my Vitamin D supply without getting a burn. 

Use Coconut Oil 
Coconut oil is food for the skin. It nourishes and repairs the tissue on a cellular level, fortifying the cell membranes and organelles. 
I slather myself with organic coconut oil at night before bed and in the morning before I get dressed. I even re-apply if I am at the beach. It protects my skin when I am swimming in the ocean and acts as an SPF of somewhere around 6.
Do not lather up with coconut oil and then sun bathe. If you tend to burn, you will burn even more. If you tend to tan, you will get a deeper, more golden tan, but deep tans cause wrinkles, sagging, discoloration and DNA mutation...not sexy.  The sun will weaken the collagen and elastin fibers that maintain the structure and firmness of your skin. Wrinkles and sagging aren’t the end of the world, but even darker skinned folks are at risk for melanoma. Remember how strong the sun is and the wear and tear it causes on cars, boats and fabrics!

If You Can’t Avoid the Sun, use a Mineral Based, Non-Toxic Sunscreen
There are times when it is necessary to wear sunblock. If you are an athlete, on a boat or in any
situation where there is no way around it, than find a product you like and use it. There are many products on the market today that are mineral based and offer amazing sun protection. Mineral based products create a physical barrier of protection between your skin and the sun and are generally non-toxic. I recommend the Environmental Working Group, a non-profit public health organization, as a great source to refer to for researching your products. They even have a mobile app you can use when you are out shopping. Educate yourself and make informed choices about the products you use. Make sure you aren’t coating yourself in poison on a regular basis if you have other options.

When you join us on a yoga retreat or yoga teacher training certification program at The Sanctuary at Two Rivers in tropical Costa Rica, keep in mind that the sun here is probably much stronger than what you are used to. Enjoy the sun in a healthy way. Spend time outside, love your body, respect Nature and take good care of your skin now, no mater your age. I promise, you will thank yourself someday.


3 comments:

  1. This post will be very useful to us.I like your blog and helpful to me.nice thoughts for your great work. Ayurveda Basic Laearning Course

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are looking forward to cancer retreat centers, we are the best bet for you. We are one of the most renowned natural healing center costa rica as well as the USA. Visit our cancer retreat center today!

    ReplyDelete